6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2018 10:19 AM by Lane Howerton

PON Circuits

Lane Howerton

When creating circuits in a fiber PON network, will the circuits from the customer extend all the way back to the Headend, or should it stopped at the PON cabinet/splitter serving it? Then a new circuit would be created for the input of each splitter back to the Headend? It would be a more accurate model for Fiber Manager to do the former, but not sure that it will. About to try it out and see, just wanted to see what everyone else thought about the process.

Tim SzekelyMatthew ZimmermanNeil BatchelorMatthew Crooks

• Re: PON Circuits
          Neil Batchelor

Hey Lane, if you create a circuit at the customer, it will extend all the way back to the headend, giving you a circuit for that individual customer.  If you create the circuit from the headend, it will go out and follow all of the paths from a given inport on a splitter, so you'll have one circuit for all of the PON customers on the single inport of that splitter.  Does that make sense?

Lane Howerton

Hmmm, kind of.  So, it matters which direction I create the circuit as to my results? I’d really like to see it from the customer back to headend. Should I create it both ways?

Neil Batchelor

Yesx, direction matters in this case.  It has to do with the way we model the splitters.  If you want a circuit that just has one end customer, you'll create the circuit from the customer premise location.  Wavepoint supports this method.  If you want to have one circuit for everyone in a group, create the circuit from the headend.  In this method, Wavepoint will stop at the splitter and won't show the end customers.  I would not recommend creating the circuit both ways.

Also, what version are you currently using?  If you're on 1021a or more recent, either of those workflows will work.  Tim Szekely, please correct me if I'm incorrect here.

Lane Howerton

Thanks for all your input guys! It's a great help.

Lane