12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2018 7:52 AM by Assaf Kahana

fiber splitters

Lane Howerton

We're about to be underway converting all our 8000ish HFC customers to FTTH.  I'm working on the data model and when it comes to splitters I'm having some issues understanding the Minerville model and the Fiber Config documentation. Looks like it Relates SplitterLocation to SplitterInputPorts and SplitterOutputPorts. Although there is a F_Splitter table, doesn't look like it's being used.

In our PON Cabinets we may have up to 18 splitters so I really don't want 18 SplitterLocation points cluttering my map. My thought would be to relate my SplitterLocations to Splitters and then to the input and output ports but I can't find documentation to do that as to make sure I get all the models and AUs where they need to be.

Can someone help with this OR tell me why that's not a good plan?

Thanks,

Lane

• Re: fiber splitters
          Tim Szekely

Hi Lane,

In the Minerville model, splitters have their own GIS feature created, and the splitter in/out ports are directly descended from that.

However, many of our customers prefer to add the splitter as a non-GIS table that relates to the splice GIS feature instead; very much like the approach you were thinking about, just making the splitter an option for splice locations instead of having it's own top-level feature class.  And just like you mentioned, the in/out port features relate to the splitter table instead of a gis feature like in the Minverville example.

The second model has the advantage that by adding relationship classes between your splitter table (e.g. F_Splitter) and other feature or tables, you can represent splitters at patch locations, in racks, etc. too with the same set of tables.  The Minerville model doesn't make this as simple since each splitter needs to be placed on the map.

I have some documentation somewhere on setting this up - as I'm able to find it I'll post it here.

Tim

Lane Howerton

"I have some documentation somewhere on setting this up - as I'm able to find it I'll post it here."

Oh, please do. Want to make sure I don't mess something up by changing the model as I'm not really sure which model and field names, and AUs should apply.

Lane Howerton

Tim,

Also, I can't find any documentation on Passive Object Classes. see below. Can you tell me about these and what they're used for?

Lane Howerton

Hey Tim,

Do you know if I would still assign the same model names to the FiberSplitterLocation and F_splitterInput and ouput tables as indicated in the documentation, or would that need to change if I go with the new workflow discussed?

Lane Howerton

Hey Tim,

Really need some quick help on this scenario as we're starting to build and I'm trying to finish this Db up to accept asbuilts. If I did the traditional FiberSplitterLocation to F_InputPorts and F_OutputPorts I know what my Model Names would be. Splitter for FiberSplitterLocation and SplitterInputPort for F_In... and SplitterOutputPort for F_Out... but with this F_Splitter table in the middle I'm not sure if they need to stay the same or move or something added?

Hope you can help....or maybe I need to do a support ticket?

Thanks,

Lane

Assaf Kahana

Hello Lane,

I asked our expert to answer you.

I have tested the use of  1:x splitters ant it works good.

Every splitter must be placed on a MAP and must be used for splices.

Lane Howerton

Thank you Assaf. I realize if I stay with the Fiber Manager's standard configuration, I will need to place every splitter on the map as it is modeled to use the FiberSplitterLocation for each splitter and the F_Input and F_Output Ports for connections.

What we're wanting to do is change the model so that a FiberSplitterLocation can be placed at a single location like a PON Cabinet and the many splitters inside the cabinet can be modelled with an the Object Class F_Splitter table, and the input and output ports related to the F_Splitter. This would be a much cleaner implementation in many cases for us.

Also, I'm not finding anywhere in the model for service taps. In our case these are multi-taps of 4, 6, 8, and 12.  So we created a subtype for FiberSplitterLocation. One called PON Splitter and the other Multi-Tap, so they can have different attribute domains.

How are you guys modeling your customer service points? As FiberDevicePoint>ONTs or something else?

Assaf Kahana

Hello Lane,

I want to use 2:X splitters only, for avoiding splitters replacement wehn new PON standard like NG-PON2/10GPON will be in use with GPON on the same fiber.

We are placing  ONT on every building with number of ports similiar to the Max. splitter ports. It allows us using CIRCUITS

Lane Howerton

So, you're feeding your ONTs with two input fibers? I'm the GIS guy so I'm just learning about FTTH and PON systems.  Will both feeds be active at the same time or is one there to allow the customer to remain in service while doing maintenance on the other?

Assaf Kahana

Yes we are feeding our ONTs with two input fibers

Only the first fiber will be active'the second reserve to future services and for future technologies and for backup.

We are using 2:X splitters (Any to Many), means -we are planning 2 fibers from Central Office (OLT) to each splitter. It give us option to add future technologies, like 10G-PON and  NG-PON2, using different wavelength, on the same infrastructure without replacing the splitters. Planning two fibers to every splitter inputs (2:X) is necessary for protection (mode) in case it required/needed. 

see scheme:

GPON.png