6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2017 11:25 AM by Tim Szekely

"Communication link failure"

erik moule

While working in ArcGIS/ArcFM I received this error message "Communication Link Failure". This is issue has been appearing for over 6 months to multible employees and causes the ArcMap/ArcFM session to crash, losing any unsaved work and edits.

One or more layers failed to draw:

FDO error: 0 [Failed to label layer Vault Switch for class .]
      Failure to access the DBMS server [[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Communication link failure] [wp.POWER.VaultSwitch]
      Failure to access the DBMS server [[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Communication link failure] [wp.POWER.SurfaceStructure]
      Failure to access the DBMS server [[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Communication link failure] [wp.POWER.TransformerBank]
      Failure to access the DBMS server [[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Communication link failure] [wp.POWER.DynamicProtectiveDevice]
      Failure to access the DBMS server [[Microsoft][SQL Serve

We have been troubleshooting with our internal IT department and with ESRI for several months now to no avail.  The most annoying issue with this problem is that there are no distinct steps to reproduce the error.  It happens more likely when a users session has been idle for more than 20 minutes and they return to perform any function )pan/zoom/identify/select/etc).  The error also happens randomly and seems to be affected by network demand or server load.  not sure.

hoping anyone would be able to provide assistance to resolve or even identify root of the problem.

• Re: "Communication link failure"
          David Miller

Basically, you dropped your database connection.  I don't know SQL server, but is there a connection timeout setting somewhere on that server?  Or a firewall that does disconnection after a period of inactivity?  Those are the two things we ran into with our Oracle database.

erik moule

I have confirmed with our team:

1.      No connection timeout setting on the SQL db server

2.      No network firewalls in our internal network

3.      Software firewalls are turned OFF on all internal servers

The reason I am asking SE is because the City of Pasadena does not have this issue and the only difference between our GIS deployment and theirs is ArcFM.  I even deployed our (W&P) software on their (DoIT) servers and we were able to reproduce the comm link error, which makes me wonder if there is some issue with ArcFM?

Erik Moule

City of Pasadena, Dept. of Water & Power

Geographic Information System

(626) 744-4627

David Miller

Full disclosure: I don't work for SE.  But I have dealt with timeout issues before with our Oracle system.  The problem typically fell in these spots:

1. Timeout setting on the Oracle database itself (but you're SQL server)

2. Timeout setting on the SDE application server (yes, we still have one here)...this begs the question: are you still using SDE?  Or are you using direct connect?

3. Firewall timeout settings (doesn't apply to you)

ArcFM really doesn't have anything to do with connections beyond applying a custom object class to the Esri database which requires a rights/roles to view the data.  The data itself just passes over the standard Esri or direct connect connection.

erik moule

Oooohhhhh.   I get it now. you are just replying to my exchange post.

I’m unclear how to log a ticket with SE and I thought you were SE tech support.  LOL

Erik Moule

City of Pasadena, Dept. of Water & Power

Geographic Information System

(626) 744-4627

David Miller

Hey, the forums aren't a bad place to start to see if anyone else has run into issues..

Now to log a case, on the SE "home page", look on the left side of the screen.  Under "Places", click on "Groups".  If you are authorized by your company to log a support case, you should see "Pasadena" show up somewhere in that list.  If you aren't authorized, you need to find who is your main contact at Pasadena to SE and talk to them.

SE Tech Support does monitor the forums, so they may get ahold of you here as well.

Tim Szekely

Hi Erik,

It looks like you figured out how to log a case, just answering here further in case others have the same question.

As David mentioned if you are authorized to log support cases, there will be a "Log a Case" button that shows up in exchange, on the right-side of the page for your group (Pasadena Water & Power ).  Also, see this page:

FAQ - Logging a Case - online or phone

That said it can be useful to post certain questions here to the community, other users such as David can provide insight our support group doesn't always have for certain questions.