2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2017 4:24 AM by Assaf Kahana

Can you stack your fiber cables and maintain the correct connectivity?

Julie Hamilton

We are designing and installing Air Blown Fiber in our business district.  However, we have not been able to implement the ABF model as of yet.  We have over 100 connections planned from one patch panel.  Due to the tight geographic space in our downtown business district, we would like to stack the fiber cables for cartographic purposes.  These are complex edges and mapping this way prevents ESRI tracing tools from working as expected.  However, Fiber Manager does not seem to have a problem finding the correct path in cases where our fiber cables are sharing midpoint vertexes.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

• Re: Can you stack your fiber cables and maintain the correct connectivity?
          Cory Williams

Hi Julie,

my understanding is that the Esri Geometric Network has issues with features being traced over/stacked on top of one another.

When I first asked Esri Support this question, I was advised that this cannot be done as it would cause issues within the Geometric network.

Another issue you may encounter would be placing coils / slack loops. If you try to place it on one cable, you'll find that it places on top of the top cable, which may not be correct?

I've used the Trace tool with Ctrl+O for Offset. I've specified an offset of 0.02m which is sufficient to resolve this issue (in my experience) but and when zoomed out, displays fairly well.

• Re: Can you stack your fiber cables and maintain the correct connectivity?
            Assaf Kahana

Hello Julie

We are using Fiber Manager,

We (planed and documented) blown 2 cables with 192 fibers in each in a different microduct., part of  7microdusts bundle. On a map we placed one  "7 microducts" and two blown cables with 0.1m offset. After connecting the fibers in both sides (source and target) we associated  1 cable to the ""Blue" microduct and second cable to the "Green" micro duct.

You can use "Fiber Trace" button in Fiber Manager tool barfor tracing the ducts bundle and every single (or more) fibers in each cable.

In total there are only three items on the map.