4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2017 12:17 PM by Matt Francis

GIS Database Replication - ESRI vs SQL Server

Jason Drost

Good morning,

I was hoping that someone within the community might be able to provide some recommendations regarding some of the pros and cons of geodatabase replication in regards to ArcFM objects.  We currently have a production GIS geodatabase on SQL Server 2012 that is used for editing, analysis, etc.  We created an additional GIS geodatabase on another instance to be used by Responder.  I'm interested in some feedback regarding the best practice to provide replication from the production GIS geodatabase to the Responder GIS geodatabase.

The first approach we are considering is using ESRI One-way Replication from production to Responder.  We currently use this process and have Python scripts that run nightly to push the data.  In addition, we have created Geoprocessing tools to allow our GIS staff to push ad hoc updates when necessary.  This process has worked, but not without it's occasional flaws due to schema changes, domain modifications, etc.

My other option would be to utilize SQL Server tools to create the replication.  Essentially performing a restore on the Responder GIS geodatabase from a Production GIS backup.  My issue with this is that I would like to store all of my ArcFM data (Gas, Fiber, etc.) in the Production GIS geodatabase and ONLY my Electric data in the Responder GIS geodatabase.

Another option I was looking into was utilizing an SSIS Services to push data across SQL Server Instances; however, I am concerned with this method due to the complexity of the Geodatabase, ArcFM, and Adds/Deletes.

Is anyone else within the Schneider community using replication between its production GIS geodatabase and Responder GIS geodatabase?  If so, is there any insight you might be able to provide to assist us in making the best possible decision regarding replication?  If not, what are some of the biggest issues your organization has with Responder using your Production GIS geodatabase?

I appreciate the feedback.

Sincerely,

Jason Drost

GIS Manager

Fort Pierce Utilities Authority

Fort Pierce, FL

• Re: GIS Database Replication - ESRI vs SQL Server
          David Miller

We're running our Responder servers directly against our production GIS database, with the network refresh occurring every hour.  Please note that we are using Responder for all our planned switching and not just outages.

Pro: Our dispatch center can essentially see the live view of the GIS "normal" network.

Con: We have to be more careful about how we edit the GIS "normal" network if it is involved with a Responder incident.  We can't delete any feature that is being referenced by Responder and we have to work very closely with dispatch if their planned switching is going to change the normal state of the system (i.e., moving a normal open point).

In general, it works pretty well.  On complicated planned switching work (such as a road widening or a complete area rebuild), we'll write the switching orders as information steps instead of action steps because it can be way too difficult to keep the coordination between dispatch and mapping at that level.