9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2016 12:43 PM by David Miller

Fiber Cable Not Visible in Connection Manager

Cory Williams

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had ever seen an issue where a fiber optic cable, snapped to a Patch Location, would not be visible in Connection Manager?

- I've tried disconnecting and connecting to the Geometric Network (via the Esri tools)

- I've tried to re-connect the cable to the Patch Location

- I took a look at the other end, but the cable can not be seen at that location either

- Nothing present in Event Viewer

It's a really bizarre 'feature'.

Current Environment:

ArcFM 10.2.1b Build 2265.

SQL Server 2008

Cheers,

Cory

• Re: Fiber Cable Not Visible in Connection Manager
          David Miller

Out of curiosity...what's the name you have on that fiber cable?  Is named unusually in any way in comparison to the other fiber optic cables in your network?

Tim Szekely

Hi Cory,

Are there connectable objects related to the cable? (i.e. buffer tubes and fiber strands)  There must be something related to it that is "CONNECTABLE".  Also, check that the geometry is valid, and that the splice didn't get connected to a non-end vertex somehow.  I've found cables occasionally that double back on themselves so the actual "end" vertex is part way along the length.  Maybe check the display field (e.g. the Name field) to make sure it doesn't have a null value?  Though I'd expect it to default to oid in that case...

Cory Williams

Hi Tim,

it turns out that the cables were missing buffer tubes and cores. It's strange because we've used that template a lot and it's only been missed in a few places.

I'll add the buffer tubes and cores in. Have you ever seen a template used where it's only created part of the object?

I'll keep an eye out to see if there are any other instances.

Else I'll put it down to user error.

David Miller

Corey,

Is it possible someone selected a fiber cable feature and chose the option to Send to Targets in the ArcFM Attribute Editor?  That will bring the feature over but no related tables.

Tim Szekely
                      Have you ever seen a template used where it's only created part of the object?

Were you using the ESRI "Feature Templates" to create the feature, or the ArcFM Favorites?  Usually either works but we don't really test very much with the former, the object creation process is more in the hands of ESRI and so I suspect certain workflows could prevent some of our functionality from kicking in during the feature/object creation process.  Like I said though usually either works, customers use the feature templates frequently and they usually work just fine.

One other thing that I can think of, is that if one of the ArcMap split tools is used on a cable it might lead to this situation of missing objects.  Normally our "Split Fiber Cable" AU should be used for this (e.g. assigned to the "On Create" event of the splice feature); the problem we've seen with using the native split tools from the ESRI "Editing" toolbar on Fiber Manager cable objects is that they bypass some of the necessary logic in duplicating related features and then connecting them.  Somehow the edit events aren't passed along in the usual way when those tools are used so our AU's don't get invoked when we would like them to.

David Miller

Corey,

Is it possible someone selected a fiber cable feature and chose the option to Send to Targets in the ArcFM Attribute Editor?  That will bring the feature over but no related tables.