8 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2017 7:57 PM by Roger Farmer

Can a switchable device be a circuit source?

Roger Farmer

Can a switchable device be a circuit source?

Documentation only points to Circuit Breakers/Reclosers as a feature being able to relate to a source object.

In our LV Low Voltage (Secondary) network out of a distribution transformer, one or multiple LV circuits can be headed by an LV Circuit Breaker, LV Fuse (both PROTECTIVE devices), LV Link (Fuse-Link), or LV Switch (both SWITCHABLE devices).

Feeder Manager 2.0 already implemented, investigating Extended Feeder Manager 'functionality'. Working through "Configuring Feeder Manager 2.0 From Scratch" so we are sure to not have all requirements yet.

We want to model our naturally multi-tiered electric network; Sub-transmission, Distribution, and LV Distribution Circuits defined and named; and extract all Feeder IDs and Sub Feeder IDs of devices and conductors into an asset management system.

• Re: Can a switchable device be a circuit source?
          Neil Batchelor

Hi Roger,

Short answer is yes.  Any point feature in your network can be a circuit source in FM2.  You would need to build the same kind of relationship class that you have from Breaker/Recloser-->Source to start.  If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.  I'm addingAaron Sapsford and Kenna Kelly from Eagle (sorry if I missed anyone else there!) and Philip Dodds and Matthew Crooks from Schneider in case there are any follow-ups here.

Neil Etheridge

Hi Roger,

I'm working with ActewAGL in Australia where we have extended feeder manager configured.  As Neil has said any switchable device can be a source although a relationship is only required if you need the switchable device class is to act as an ultimate source.  What you're describing is for LV circuits, which you should configure as sub-sources - in this case no relationship is required.  Entries for sub-sources (and ultimate sources) are stored in the CircuitSourceID table rather than the CircuitSource table (which is for ultimate sources only).  The discussion here may help with Ultimate/Subsource definitions ArcFM Desktop Configuration Guide

Below is a screen grab of a padmount distribution transformer site.  Orange cables are HV, blue LV, and Magenta services.  Fuses on the LV side are all flagged as sub-sources.  The isolatior switch (10AA) has the ability to be configure as a subsource but is not in this case.  Assigning the fuses as a subsource has the affect of assigning a unique ParentCircuitSourceID value to all downstream equipment.

Hope this helps in some way.

Cheers,

Neil

Roger Farmer

Hi Neil,

Thank you for your reply, it is helpful. Just being 'over the ditch' means the systems look very similar. Nice symbols BTW!

Looks like you have incoming HV ring circuits on a CFCC Ring Main Unit connected to a suburban distribution substation transformer with an LV panel having a variety of outgoing switchable or protective devices. Out of interest, what do your FeederIDs and Subfeeder IDs fields contain for features around this location up and downstream?

Currently we have ALL edges and junctions from the feeder breakers (with a related circuit source) autoupdating everything downstream to the ICP (Installation Control Point/ServicePoint) with one Feeder IDs.

We would like to have the network asset's Subfeeder IDs field attributed in it's tiers. Usually 33kV EHV Subtransmission from the GXP (Grid eXit Point) to the Zone Substation, 11kV HV Distribution to DistributionTransformers, and 400V LV Distribution to the customer/ICP. At any voltage level ideally we would like to see where an asset is in the network hierarchy. For example the Subfeeder IDs field of an ICP would state something like: GXP Feeder IDs, EHV Feeder IDs, HV Feeder IDs, LV Feeder IDs. Feeder Names/Voltages change from the GXP breaker name at the Zone Substation feeder breaker, and then at the distribution substation LV panel devices.

Zone transformers can also step voltages 6.6, 11, 22, 33 or 110kV up or down in varying combinations.

Cheers,

Roger.

Neil Etheridge

I've added labelling to show FeederIDs and SubFeederIDs.  FeederIDs are named from the source Zone Sub Name + Zone Breaker Schematic Ref + Feeder Name.  LV Sub Feeder ID comes from a field on the subsource device - the field should have the FacilityID field model name - this is used by the ArcFM Feeder SubSource Name to populate into the CircuitSourceID table when the subsource field is changed from No to Yes.  In our case the field used in the Asset Number field which is maintained by a custom autoupdater which concatenates the distribution substation Asset Number with the schematic reference of the subsource.  You may be able to use a custom AU to achieve the tiered network naming in the same way.

The ActewAGL network consists of subtransmission 132kV/66kV, HV 11kV/22kV and LV 400V.  However we only have feeder manager operate from the zone breaker (ultimate source) downstream.

Cheers,

Neil

Roger Farmer

Thanks, Neil.

This looks like where we may need to head.

At this stage it is good to know that it is not impossible to achieve.

In investigating FM2.0 setup from scratch ArcFM Desktop Configuration Guide I noticed we have a couple of issues with Feature Classes, Domains and Model Names to tidy up, subsources to set and then we would need assistance with custom AUs.

We may need to replicate something like this for assets:

2016-11-24 09_22_33-AlpineGIS v3.5.png

Similarly the asset management system may require where an asset is in the network hierarchy; GXP, HV Feeder, LV subsource feeder. We too, would only need FM from the zone breaker down. GXP can come from joins/data links.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Roger.

Neil Etheridge

Glad I could help.  If you need a developer for those custom AUs down the track give me a shout.

Cheers,

Neil

Roger Farmer

Hi Neil,

Thank you for your help to date. I seem to have had a great deal of success so far reading this thread, the Schneider FM2.0 documentation and trials and errors!

I am not quite sure what the significance of the SubstationID field is for in the CircuitSourceID table.

So far I think we can glean most of the things we need from the Tie-Device, Feeder IDs and Subfeeder IDs fields.

One piece of the puzzle I seem to be missing is the HV Feeder information; in my trials I made the GXP/Subtransmission breaker (TMK-1292) the ultimate sources and the next tier (or first subsource level) at the Zone Breaker (G191) and the last tier (or second subsource level) just below the distribution transformers at the LV switchable devices (D525-04). This seems to go very well until I look at the customer service points (ICP) where the attribute for Subfeeder IDs only shows the last subsource and not the Zone Breaker Feeder IDs. In the screenshot the ICP shows the correct Feeder IDs TMK-1292, the correct Subfeeder IDs D525-04 (LV Fuse inside ground mount sub D525). Ideally we wish to be able to see SubfeederIDs=G191, D525-04. The Zone circuit G191 is missing from the list of Subfeeder IDs. Am I missing something, or is this where a custom AU would be used?

Cheers,

Roger.