3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2016 3:43 PM by Tim Szekely

Objects in this class cannot be updated outside an edit session

Jon Hradsky

Hello,

When attempting to create certain objects during an edit session, I get the following error:

"Objects in this class cannot be updated outside an edit session [The name of a related feature class appears here]"

I am inside an edit session, and this error doesn't appear for other objects. This feature class, as well as the object that I am trying to create, exist in the same database as other objects I am trying to create, and this error started appearing after no changes to the system (that I am aware of). Any ideas what is going on here? Thanks!

• Re: Objects in this class cannot be updated outside an edit session
          Samuel Tregillus

Hi Jon,

Check the "source" tab of the table of contents (second from the left).  It sounds like maybe you have some features from different sources (this may be due to different user names in the connection for that layer, different permissions, unversioned tables, etc).  If you see multiple sources OUTSIDE of the edit session, try and make sure that you have edit access to both sources (or fix the sources so that they point at the same data source).

Jon Hradsky

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your response. I double-checked the "source" tab to make sure, and it appears that all ArcFM-related feature classes are from the same source. There are other non-ArcFM feature classes supplementing the fiber data, and even though I didn't think you were including these, I removed them anyway to test. No luck.

Another piece of information that may help: the error for which I created this post was for fiber cables; however, when I try to add a patch location, I get a different error: No update session in progress. When I try to add a fiber structure, I have no issue.

Any further thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Tim Szekely

Hi Jon,

One thing that's caused this in the past with Fiber Manager is when permissions for accounts come unglued for some reason.  Try the operations in question logged in as the data owner, or try unsetting/resetting the permissions for the editor, and see if that makes any difference as well.