4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2016 9:33 AM by Michelle House

Search on features regardless of any Definition Queries set

Michelle House

Is there a way to use the ArcFM Locator to search on features that may not be included in a layer because of a Definition Query on that layer.

Example:  A Transformer layer has a Definition Query set for DetailID = Null so all that displays in the map are Transformers where the DetailID = Null.  But I am searching Transformers in ArcFM Locator, and I want my results for Transformers with a Rated kVa of 25 to ALSO include ALL Transformers, regardless of the value in DetailID (Null or not).

Right now, the ArcFM Locator search is constrained by the Definition Query.

• Re: Search on features regardless of any Definition Queries set
          Stephen Pursley

Hello Michelle,

Try the following: Within the ArcFM Locator tool, if you were to perform a search (e.g. Attribute Query), there is a checkbox within the Locator that says 'Show all Tables'.

To test, open the attribute table for the layer having the definition query and note the number of records. You can then then use ArcCatalog to view the total number of records for the feature type. Check the 'show all tables' within the Locator and run a simple find with nothing defined to see if all the records (not simply those based on the layer's definition query) are returned. If all the records are returned, perform a specific search of interest.

Let me know if this works.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen Pursley

Hello Michelle,

Sorry to hear that did not work on your end. I am not sure how your definition queries are setup or of the results you received from your test search, but it may be worth taking a quick look at some of the other locator options (e.g. Ignore subtypes not checked, locate threshold set, etc.) to see if any are influencing your search results.

As an example on my end, I was using a SQL-based data environment to test. I set a Definition Query on the transformer layer (kva = null based on your description). Since none of the transformers had a null value with the data I was testing, accessing the table via the layer within ArcMap returned no records. I then conducted a search with ‘show all tables’ and ‘ignore subtypes’ selected. The results then returned at 100 based on a defined threshold. 

Let me know if you have any further questions on this.

Cheers,
            Stephen

Michelle House

Stephen,

My example may have been bad for this functionality.

Are you sure that the results you are seeing are the actual transformer FEATURES and not the related records?

In my actual example – I will lay out the details with pictures below.

·          The layer is SUB_Switch – the Definition Query is on the DetailID field

·         The result I was to be able to search for is the SUB_Switch with Object ID of 822.  However, it has data in the Detail ID field, so it is not available in the Stored Display and therefore not able to be returned as a result.

·         If I clear the Definition Query, I AM able to get the result (images below).

But I want to be able to find this feature, regardless of the Definition Query.

The Developers on the project are saying it cannot be done out of the box, but I thought I would ask Schneider.

Michelle House

mhouse@udcus.com<mailto:mhouse@udcus.com>