5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2016 2:07 PM by Tim Szekely

Can I Show Multiple Fiber Cables In A Single Riser?

David Meek

Hi all.

Just like the subject line:  Can I show multiple fiber cables running through a single riser?  If so, how?

David

• Re: Can I Show Multiple Fiber Cables In A Single Riser?
          David Meek

For more clarity, here's a quick 'n dirty example of what is driving my question.  I have 1 distribution cable coming in via overhead, running down the riser to an underground vault, and 4 drops running from the splice point in the vault up back up through the riser and out to buildings via overhead lines.  So, 5 cables need to run through the riser (and be shown as underground and overhead on either side of the riser).

And placing 5 separate risers doesn't work as it throws any inventory numbers out the window. . .

FM_Riser_Question.JPG

Greg McHugh

David Meek

This is a great question! and I'm suspecting a common occurrence in the Fiber world.

I'm bringing in a few others that may have more experience than me with such a question.

Tim Szekely

Jack Hand

Swaroop Mathew

Jeremy Bridges

Any ideas?

Tim Szekely

Hi David,

The way Fiber Manager works today, each individual cable will need it's own point feature for the riser.  You can't associate a single riser with more than one cable.

You'll want to make sure that the risers are not coincident on the map also, this can confuse the geometric network and cause issues if you need to edit a specific riser or a related cable.

Tim

David Meek

Thanks for the reply Tim.

That leads to a further thought.  The first way to overcome this that comes to mind is to add a single-character field to the FIBER.FIBER.TransitionPoint feature class called Actual or some such.  It'll record either a Y or N depending on whether the riser physically exists or is a "dummy" to accommodate the limitation.  That would allow symbology to display the Y-valued riser only and also allow an inventory query to hit only those, too.

Does this sound reasonable?  How have others gotten around this?  Is there a best practices document around that covers things like this?

David

Tim Szekely

Hi David,

Yes, something like that is one way to handle this. 

A similar approach I've heard of, is giving the risers common equipment id's, to indicate they are actually one riser rather than distinct objects.  Then any queries on the objects in the database are qualified to return results with distinct equipment id's, to weed-out duplicate entries.  This also makes it easy to identify which risers are representing each real-world feature.  I'm guessing you'd be doing something like this as well maybe?

We don't have any documentation I'm aware of for handling these cases, unfortunately.