3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2016 9:58 AM by Tim Szekely

Wavepoint Normal Functionality Question

Evan Foster

I am getting a question from my WavePoint users that believe one cable segment is behaving abnormally.

In a nutshell, this is one cable that is split into three segments due to two splices along its path. The three segments all have the same cable name. The users believe that, when selecting any part of the cable--or searching for the cable name and selecting it that way--the entire length of the cable from end to end should be selected (traced) and a total length given in the information pane on the left side of the interface. Currently selecting the cable only highlights and displays segment information for the segment that was clicked on or selected from the search results.

The users believe other cables in the system behave 'normally' where selecting any point along the cable selects all segments along the path.

I haven't been able to find another cable that, when clicking on any part (and all parts have the same cable name), the entire cable gets selected. The only way I can select or 'trace' the entire path is to select a fiber and have WavePoint select the fiber path using the connection object information.

My thought here is that the users think end-to-end cables with splices are being selected but, due to the density of cables on the map, it only appears that the particular cable has a splice on it when it does not. Thus they believe some entire cables are tracing straight away by clicking on any segment, whereas the cable was already one segment and not split due to splices.

So, this question comes down to: How is the interface supposed to behave? Should all connected cable segments with the same name get highlighted (traced) and a total length given when the user clicks on/selects one of the cable segments? Or does that only occur when tracing it at the fiber level in the fiber/path tab?

• Re: Wavepoint Normal Functionality Question
          Tim Szekely

Hi Evan,

I think you are correct in your guesses about how the users may be misinterpreting the Wavepoint behavior.

In Fiber Manager, a cable must have an end point at a splice in order for our product to recognize it as a candidate for being connected there.  As a result, cables should always terminate at a splice they are connected to in Wavepoint.  Same goes for other points where strands may be connected, e.g. patch locations.  Only the segment between splices should ever be selected when a user clicks on a cable.

Tim

Robin Perkins

So we have a similar issue with the way our cables have traditionally been named: For one example we have a 'cable' that is ~430km long, with about 300 splices in it, and has about 150 spurs coming from it all with the same name. So as you could imagine searching for that 'name' is somewhat broken.

I think it is just a matter of educating users on the way Wavepoint/ArcFM treats fibre components:

A Cable - is from one cut point to another - either FOBOT to FOBOT, splice to splice or FOBOT to splice. (We also have some mid spliced cables where only 1 of the buffer tubes is cut - but we just treat these as normal splice locations and just have a splice type of 'cores uncut' for the other buffer tube cores)

A Core - runs from one FOBOT to another (unless there is dead end at a splice location). If you trace from a device, you are just including the patch lead from the device to the FOBOT as well.

A Circuit - (Usually) runs from one fibre optic device (i.e. its SFP or optical port) to another.

Perhaps we could maybe look at a CableCollective (working name) that simply links all cable connected with the same name together as an object?

Tim Szekely

In theory, Wavepoint could be modified to change its behavior and treat a subset of edges as a single cable based on some criteria.  This would be a very invasive update however, and require considerable work to implement, and isn't likely anytime soon.  That said, it would be good to have input on this for future development efforts, i.e. ArcFM Web. 

How critical is such functionality?  Is it better to select an entire cable, and NOT be able to select individual segments between splices?  Or do you need both, or something else?