8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2016 4:19 PM by Juul Dijkstra

flow arrow settings

Alan Girten

Is there a way to save the flow arrow settings (size and color)? The default is black, which are very hard (almost impossible) to see with black background. Once we change the color its fine, but every time you exit out and go back into ArcGIS\FM they need to be reset.

Thanks!

• Re: flow arrow settings

Hi Alan,

I am not too familiar with how Esri's flow arrow settings are saved.  But if you are using Feeder Manager, the Find Feeder tool has an option to display flow arrow directions.  These are displayed in red.  You can learn more about ArcFM's Calculate Flow Direction command here: Find Feeder Tool.

Regards,

Laurel

Hi Alan,

Go ahead and try adding the Find Feeder tool even if you are on Feeder Manager 1.  It should work with FM1 as well.

Regards,

Laurel

Juul Dijkstra

Hi Alan,

It is my understanding that ArcMap does not save the symbol property changes back to the normal.mxt for toolbars. The same is true for the Draw Toolbar, and perhaps others. One way this can be avoided, is by saving the symbol changes to an MXD. The MXD should retain the changed properties of the flow arrows. (See ArcMap Customization) However, in ArcFM, a Stored Document (or Stored Display) does not show the same symbol property retention. I believe the issue here is due to timing of functionality initialization, where ArcFM users load first the normal.mxt (toolbars and such) when starting ArcMap/ArcFM and then the stored document properties. This is also proven when an MXD is compared to a Stored Document in regards to flow arrows displaying in the document itself.

This was considered to be a problem for our users, and as such we have introduced our own flow arrows, starting at ArcFM 10.2.1 as Laurel was describing above, for both FM1.0 and FM2.0. Furthermore, Esri flow arrows interact on the core geometric network and might not interact with any ArcFM properties in regards to flow direction.

To lighten the load for complicated symbols though; you could save these to a common style file that is stored on a network location. The loaded style file is retained by the normal.mxt and as such loaded every time ArcMap starts. Next, make sure the style is loaded in the Customize > Style Manager and can be picked every time flow arrows have been initialized.

Hope this helps.

- Juul

Roger Farmer

Hi Juul,

The Find Feeder Tool is cool.

It does have a couple of shortcomings, though. I can symbolize only one feeder at a time and then only after Trace-weights have been fixed in some cases.

We happen to have dashed red lines for UG cables and the arrows are too small to be seen easily and are not configurable.

It would be good to have arrows on multiple feeders so that I can see interaction around tie-devices. But tie-devices only function in FM2 Find Feeder tool when they are set to Enabled=True; and this throws core tracing/Utility Network Analyst tools which look better and function on multiple feeders.

Regards,

Roger.

Juul Dijkstra

Hi Roger,

Your findings are correct and I strongly encourage you to log this (Multiple Feeders Highlight) as an idea in the ArcFM space. You might already know this, but Select by Feeder does adhere to multiple feeder selection as does Select by Attribute.

The color of the Feeder Highlight and Arrow can be changed to any color you want through the ArcFM Trace Result Options in the Tracing Toolbar.

1. Only the Simple Trace Results will work; I logged a bug in regards to the Advanced Trace Results Option (CLS-62419) which does not work.
                      2. Note that the Highlight result is a Graphic, and as such it can be selected as a graphic (from the Draw Toolbar) in the current extent. Once selected, right-click and go to its properties. There you can change the size, color, even the symbol itself to your need. This is a not a great workaround since the Find Feeder Tool does not respect the Default Graphics configuration, however it will temporarily aid in viewing.

Kind Regards,

- Juul

James Stout

flow arrow settings

Try the utility network analyst tool.

flow properties.

You can change arrow type color size.

Click apply.

Save the document.

The trace arrow changes save in the map document.