4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2015 1:42 PM by Chuck Fauser

Length and Total Length values on Fiber Trace Report

Chuck Fauser

When I run the Fiber Trace tool, I was expecting the top line for each strand to state the total length of the trace. What I'm finding is that I have to expand the report for each strand and look at the last entry to get this information. Is there another way to easily see the total length of the trace for each strand?

• Re: Length and Total Length values on Fiber Trace Report
          Tim Szekely

Hello Chuck,

A couple of options spring to mind for me on this.  If you happen to have a circuit in Circuit Manager on the route you wish to trace, you can simply look at the length for the circuit in the Circuit Manager list.

Otherwise, you can do a bit of customization of the .xsl file that formats the Fiber Trace Report.  If you look in the folder:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\ArcFM Solution\Fiber Manager\Reports

You will see the .xml generated for each individual report, as well as the .xsl files used to format the presentation.  If you customize these you should be able to do what you are after; the XML presents the cables as kind of a linked list with just the length of each segment.  The .xsl file for the report adds up a running total for the trace, which it includes with each successive line in the report.  If you are comfortable with a little xsl scripting, you could modify the report to list the total length on the top line of the trace for the strand. 

These are the two options I can think of, let me know if you have questions on either one.

Regards,

Tim

Chuck Fauser

Thanks Tim.

Unfortunately, neither of those solutions will accomplish what I am seeking to do.

a) I'm don't have all runs defined in Circuit Manager

b) This option would require me to modify the xml file for every trace I run. Not a vey palatable solution.

Tim Szekely

Hi Chuck,

Regarding b) - Updating any .xml files shouldn't be necessary.

The same .xsl file is used for formatting every trace's generated .xml file for presentation, including calculations based on the raw .xml content such as accumulating a running-total of the length.  Updating the one .xsl used for the report (trace_report.xsl), will automatically update the look and final content of all trace reports, past, present, and future. 

The first line of each .xml file is an element that specifies the .xsl to use for formatting:

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="Trace_Report.xsl"?>

Inside this .xsl file there is more than just aligning text and choosing fonts, we also do some calculations, such as adding the lengths of the individual strand sections included in the "raw" .xml file:

<xsl:variable name="total_length_loss">

<xsl:value-of select="format-number($length_total + $length, '########0.00', 'dformat')" />

</xsl:variable>

<xsl:for-each select="$node/connected_to/fiber_object">

<xsl:call-template name="fiber_object">

<xsl:with-param name="node" select="."/>

<xsl:with-param name="recursion_level" select="$indent_count"/>

<xsl:with-param name="a_loss_cumulative" select="$total_a_loss"/>

<xsl:with-param name="b_loss_cumulative" select="$total_b_loss"/>

<xsl:with-param name="indent_increment" select="$indent_count" />

<xsl:with-param name="length_total" select="$total_length_loss" />

<xsl:with-param name="last_row_color" select="$pass_row_color" />

</xsl:call-template>

</xsl:for-each>

I don't know whether you'd need to copy the section that does this calculation, maybe just modify the style sheet to add a line at the head of the report. 

This does require some .xsl scripting ability, which is not an option for many, but if you have the skills or have someone in your organization who does, modifying the reports via the .xsl file is one of the best options for customizing the Fiber Manager reports to get the information you need.

Tim