6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2015 9:24 AM by Scott Diehl

Using an ArcMap Fishnet with ArcFM Mapbooks

Alexander McKoy

I have successfully created a fishnet grid using the ESRI tool "Create Fishnet" which I would like to use to create a Map Book.  I notice that the "New ArcFM Mapbook" tool does readily accept non-SDE feature classes i.e. shapefiles as the grid layer.  Is there a way to do this?  I only have ESRI toolbox.  I do not have any ArcFM tools, so the Grid Generator I read about is not an option for me.  At least I don't think it's an option for me.  Please help!

• Re: Using an ArcMap Fishnet with ArcFM Mapbooks
          Scott Diehl

Hi Alexander,

The ArcFM MapBook tool looks for polygon feature classes that have been assigned the MAPGRID model name, therefore you are correct that your fishnet polygon features will need to reside in an ArcFM geodatabase.  The SDE requirement is misleading, as it could be a personal or file geodatabase as long the database has been configured for ArcFM.  I'm inferring from your comments that you created the fishnet polygons as a shapefile.  If you import the shapefile into your geodatabase (make sure to register it as versioned), then apply the model name to the feature class, it should become available to the ArcFM Map Production tool to select for generating a mapbook.

For the details on configuring your fishnet feature class for use with the Map Production tool, please visit this link and read over all the information:  ArcFM Desktop Configuration Guide (Configure Map Production)

Also, a couple more questions...  Can you expound a little bit more about not having any ArcFM tools?  Why is this?  Do you only have access to the ArcFM Map Production tool?  It's possible you could use the Map Grid Generator to create a similar set of polygon features, but I'm not sure there would be a significant advantage to doing it that way.  (I could be wrong - someone else may want to chime in about that...)  If you already have the fishnet polygons and can import them into the geodatabase, that may be the most efficient way to go about it.

Thanks,

Scott

Alexander McKoy

Thanks for the reply Scott.  I am about to try to create a file GDB, add my fishnet shapefile to it, then register it as versioned.  I hope this works for me.

To answer your other questions about not having ArcFM tools, when I launch ArcToolbox, I have the list shown below.  If I remember correctly from our previous version (9.3), we had a category for ArcFM tools specifically which as you can see, I no longer have listed.  Is there a directory from which I can add the ArcFM toolbox category or where our administrators can add it?  If I could get access to the Map Grid Generator tool, I would definitely like to try it because it seems like it would save me some steps and be simpler than what I am attempting with the ESRI fishnet tool.

Toolbox list.PNG

Alexander McKoy

Unfortunately, I do not have the option to register my feature class as versioned.

Scott Diehl

Hi Alexander,

Couple of things.  You may have already figured this out if you've created the file geodatabase.  'Register as Versioned' is only necessary/available with SDE databases, so it would not be an option, but also not be required for making edits to the feature class in a file geodatabase.  However, the ArcFM tools will not work in just a standard file geodatabase that you would create.  It would require a substantial amount of configuration to the new file geodatabase in order to allow the ArcFM tools to function.

What you will likely need to do is to work with your administrators to either import the shapefile that you have into the ArcFM geodatabase, or possibly you could coordinate with them to use Map Grid Generator tool to attempt to create the grid features you desire.  Either way, the grid features/feature class will need to reside in the ArcFM geodatabase, as the ArcFM Map Production and Map Grid Generator tools require specific ArcFM configuration to be set up (on the feature class that will contain the fishnet grids), and the way the software works is not designed for the tools to reference the configuration info from multiple databases at the same time so it all needs to be in one geodatabase.

There are no out-of-the-box ArcFM tools that exist in the ESRI ArcToolbox.  I am not sure if you guys had some custom tools built for 9.3 that would've been in the ArcToolbox.  If so, and if they were upgraded to 10.2.1 along with your other custom tools, they may be available to add to ArcToolbox, but again, your administrators will be the best source of help for that.

If you decide to go the route of using the ArcFM Map Production and Map Grid Generator tools, make sure your administrators reference the configuration info about required model names from these two links (I've re-listed the link I mentioned in my first post):

ArcFM Desktop Configuration Guide (Configure Map Production tool)

ArcFM Desktop Configuration Guide (Configure Map Grid Generator tool)

Hope this helps!

Scott

Alexander McKoy

Scott, thanks for all of your help.  The good news is I do, in fact, have the ArcFM Map Grid Generator.  I did not realize it was on the ArcFM toolbar already.  I see what you meant, however,  when you said, "... Either way, the grid features/feature class will need to reside in the ArcFM geodatabase..." now that I try to use the tool.  I was thinking/hoping that the tool allowed the user to create a custom fishnet to serve as the map grid for map book production.  That does not seem to be the case; nonetheless, the information you gave me has been very valuable.  Thanks again.                                   

mapGridGen.PNG