It sounds like you don't want to install Object Reader on the new AGS box, but ArcFM Server. That will allow you to check out an ArcFM Server license on the new machine and get access to the SOE and its functionality.
I'm working in a Test environment to bring this second server online for my ArcGIS Server site. To scale out my AGS site, will I need more ArcFM server licenses as I bring on more servers to our site? Is there documentation for installing ArcFM Server? I had installed the license server on my first server, do I just need to point to that one from my second box, etc?
Installation instructions are contained in the readme (which I've grabbed and pasted below for your convenience). The general idea is that each machine in your ArcGIS Server Site which will need ArcFM-enabled services will need to have ArcFM Server installed and will need to have its own ArcFM Server license (though all of the ArcFM Server licenses can be floating licenses which live on the same license server, just so long as there is a 1-1 correlation between total licenses and ArcFM Server machines).
From what I understand, by default, as you add more AGS boxes to the AGS Site, the existing published services are redundantly published on the new machine. If you want to scale your AGS Site larger than you have available ArcFM Server licenses, this could pose a problem if you go with the default single cluster. You would need to configure one cluster which would publish and load-balance your ArcFM-enabled mapservices (where ArcFM Server would be installed and licensed on each machine), and then you could configure one or more additional clusters which would publish and load-balance your non-ArcFM-enabled mapservices. If these services publish ArcFM data, they would need Object Reader installed, but would not need licensing because you wouldn't need to perform ArcFM Server functionality on these services (ie tracing) and Object Reader doesn't require a license for view-only access to ArcFM data.
I'm afraid I'm not terribly familiar with the details of setting up clustering, but I believe this Esri documentation link might give you a head start.
ArcFM Server 10.2.1a Release Contents
ArcFM Server contains the server components used by ArcFM for Silverlight web applications. The server components include REST extensions for traces, identify, and locate. These web services can be consumed by third party applications and provide a key component for supporting SOA business solutions.
ArcFM Server 10.2.1a contains the following bug fixes:
- REST - Gas System traces fail with HTTP 500 error. MM52766
- REST - Register SOE form enables the Done button before completion. MM52467
- REST - Register SOE crashes if there is nothing in the root folder. MM52468
Upgrade InformationAll upgrade information is on exchange.The ArcFM Solution Resource Center offers the latest Using and Configuration Guides for each product. You can view this information before installing the latest release.Installation InstructionsThe ArcFM Server 10.2.1a installers are complete installers. ArcFM Server 10.2.1a requires a complete upgrade to ArcFM Solution 10.2.1a, and a complete upgrade to ArcGIS 10.2.1 or higher, before installation. You cannot install ArcFM prior to installing ArcGIS.Note: Uninstall the older version of all products before installing ArcFM Solution 10.2.1a.Anti-Spyware: Before installation, disable all anti-spyware applications as they may interfere with installation. They may be restarted after installation is complete.System Requirements: Ensure that your hardware and software meet the ArcGIS system requirements. Also ensure that your hardware and software meet the ArcFM system requirements defined at the GIS Support place on exchange.Note: Directly following an upgrade to ArcGIS 10.2.1 or higher, you must remove any existing version of the ArcFM Server "Server Object Extension" (SOE) in ArcGIS Server Manager. After upgrading to ArcFM Server 10.2.1a, the ArcFM Server SOE must be installed on any machine that hosts ArcGIS Server.You must uninstall any existing version of ArcFM Server before upgrading to ArcFM Server 10.2.1a.
- Open Control Panel and select View by Category.
- Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.
- Sort the programs by Publisher and locate the Schneider Electric programs.
- Select the ArcFM Server version that is installed, click Uninstall, and follow the prompts.
- Close the Control Panel.
- Navigate to the folder that contains ArcFM_Server1021a.msi, and in the folder double-click the setup.exe file.
- Follow the instructions to complete the installation.
- Install the new version of Miner.Server.soe (located by default in C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\bin) via the Register ArcFM SOE tool, which can be found in your Start menu in the ArcFM Solution folder.
Components: Each machine that hosts an ArcGIS Server component should also have the corresponding ArcFM Server component. After installing the ArcFM Server SOE, you will be asked to supply the network name of the license server. This will also need to be run on every ArcGIS Server machine. If you need to change the license server later, you can do so from the start menu under ArcFM Solution -> ArcFM Server. In addition, the "Register ArcFM SOE" tool must be run once per site. The ArcGIS Server site is typically created by logging into ArcGIS Server Manager the first time.Known Issues
- Autoupdaters: - There are certain Autoupdaters that will not function with ArcFM Server. See the ArcFM Solution Appendix for a list of Autoupdaters and the products with which they are compatible.
- Identify: - Features are returned incorrectly when identifying on a layer with an outer join if the feature does not have a related record (Esri bug #NIM092688).
- Join Layers: - Layers with joins may experience issues with ArcFM Properties.
- Map Services: - Some map services, depending on their coordinate system, may have issues with tracing and locate if a basemap in a different projection is also present.
- Related Data: - Querying related data does not work when querying on a joined layer (Esri bug #NIM102137).
- Special Characters: - Special characters in layer names, e.g., <, *, or &, can cause unexpected behavior.
The ArcFM Solution Resource Center offers the latest Using and Configuration Guides for each product. You can view this information before installing the latest release.
SDK Installer: To install the ArcFM Solution SDK Documentation, the Microsoft Windows SDK or Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 must be installed. The SDK installer is a large file to download (~600Mb). With 10.0.3, we had to change the developer help format in order to integrate with Visual Studio 2010. This new format, in conjunction with the volume of developer help, has led to a very slow installation process. Installing the SDK will take several minutes. The ArcFM Solution Resource Center contains everything available in the SDK installer plus some additional information (e.g., free tools and technical white papers).
Thank you Matt for the links and info.