15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2015 4:11 PM by Ed Blair

Configure default edit workspace

Ed Blair

I know there's a way to do this, just can't recall exactly how and haven't found it in searching.

Question is, if I've got multiple workspaces in my Stored Display how do I configure ArcFM to start editing on one specifically and avoid the "Choose Workspace To Edit" dialog.

Thanks for any info at all!

Ed

• Re: Configure default edit workspace

expanding the audience to include GIS Education and a few folks from GIS Support (James Wright, Juul Dijkstra Matthew St. John)

Hi Ed,

Other folks can correct me, but I think that Choose Workspace Dialog will appear every time you have multiple spaces in your map or Stored Display.  You can choose a default geodatabase and then save the mxd, but the multiple workspace message will still appear.

The way I get around it, is I right-click the layer that I know I want to edit and choose Start Editing.  This automatically places you in the workspace that contains that layer, and the dialog won't appear.  Every layer in the same workspace is now open for edits, as if you had selected the space in that dialog.  In short, it accomplishes the same thing without the dialog.

Matthew St. John

You're correct about the dialog within ArcMap, opening a Session, Design, or using Editor -> Start Editing will always show the workspace dialog. For thoroughness's sake if nothing else, I wanted to add that Engine Viewer behaves a bit differently. To avoid throwing extra dialogs to the user in the streamlined application, Engine Viewer doesn't show a dialog when multiple editable environments are available (e.g. your electric FGDB and landbase FGDB), rather Engine Viewer will always start an edit session on the geodatabase of the first layer in the current map. This rarely comes up, the top layers of the map are typically also the ones the user wants to work with, but every once in a while it requires a tweak to the stored display to ensure the desired FGDB is used when the edit session starts.

Ed Blair

Ok. Thanks. So then for companies that have, for example, land and electric

in separate workspaces there must be a customization to session

mgr/workflow mgr to start editing in the electric workspace avoiding the

dialog?

Ed

On Mar 25, 2015 11:53 AM, "Matthew St. John" <

schneider-electric-admin@infrastructurecommunity.schneider-electric.com>

Robert Krisher

Ed,

If all the features in the landbase dataset aren't editable, is it possible that ArcFM is intelligent enough to not display the dialog if only one workspace contains editable features?

Ed Blair

Robert -

That sounded like a really good idea.  Unfortunately as I tested it ArcMap is not quite that smart.   With one layer pointing to a class in a workspace that I CAN edit and a second layer pointing to a class in a workspace that I can view but CANNOT edit, "Start Editing" still presents the "Select a Workspace to Edit" dialog.  And if I pick the workspace that I can't edit it tells me I can't edit it.

Will probably require a customization to PX, but should not be a complicated one.

Thanks,

Ed

Matthew St. John

Hi Ed,

I did some testing with this and it appears the automatic usage of the first layer for the edit workspace is triggered off the presence of an XML packet, not running in Engine Viewer. Engine Viewer uses XML packets for all sessions, so it will never display the workspace dialog, but you can get the same behavior with sessions in ArcMap if XML packets are created for the session or design. These XML packets are always ignored as long as the session/design remains in the enterprise; they will only be updated as the user edits, but the data the user sees is always the data as it exists in the geodatabase.

If your users want to suppress the workspace selection, you  could enable the creation of XML packets on the enterprise by adding the Create Packet subtask and setting the ProcessFrameworkEnterprise PX config value to a universally-available network share. The packets will be created when the session is created, written to as the user edits, and deleted when the session is deleted. The one gotcha to be aware of is that sessions and designs with XML packets cannot be opened in read only mode, so if a user does not own a session or design or the item is locked, they cannot open it without taking ownership and/or unlocking it first.

Ed Blair I want to make sure you see this post from Matthew St. John

Ed Blair

Matthew -

Thanks much for the response.  Finally got to a point where I could test this.

So I tried adding the "Create Packet" subtask to the "Create Design" task.  That still presented the "Select a Workspace" dialog.   Then I tried adding the "Create Packet" subtask to the "Open Design" task and still got the "Select a Workspace" dialog.

The I figured I may need to add the "Create Folder" subtask before "Create Packet."  So I did and a folder is created for the design -- which I assume is good -- but there is nothing in it after the Design is created and opened and I still get the "Select a Workspace" dialog when opening the design.

So I'm missing something.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ed

Matthew St. John

Hi Ed,

It looks like my testing with sessions does not apply to designs as I had assumed. I confirmed the behavior for sessions, but designs don't share the same automatic workspace behavior when a packets is present, so the workspace selection dialog is always shown with designs. It looks like a custom subtask would be need for the Create Design task to pre-populate the Workspace_DB_Properties field in MM_WMS_DESIGN. I'm not sure if there's an API interface for that setting or not, but the format is quite simple so you could just edit the table directly too.

Ed Blair

Matthew -

Thanks for the info.   It does look like a custom subtask is required - but

as you say, it looks straightforward.

Ed

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Matthew St. John <

schneider-electric-admin@infrastructurecommunity.schneider-electric.com>

Ed Blair

Matthew -

Just wanted to (I think) close the loop on this one.  I *have* now created a custom subtask that is configured in the Process Framework Admin tool to execute on design open.  If the WORKSPACE_DB_PROPERTIES property of the design is <null> then I get the workspace definition from the first layer in the map document and assemble them into a property description apparently expected by PX.   That description is then assigned to the property as follows:

dn.PropertySet.SetProperty("WORKSPACE_DB_PROPERTIES", dbProps);

Once PX has this information it seems to have enough information to choose the workspace, create a new version if necessary and continue with the Designer session.

Seems to be working as expected at this point.   Thanks for your help!

Ed

Ed Blair

Matthew -

Guess I spoke a little to quickly.  The process I've got (using a custom subtask) seems to provide expected results when my target Geodatabase is either a File GDB or a SQL*Server Geodatabase using operating system authentication.   However, when I exercise it against an Oracle Geodatabase using DBMS authentication (user/password) something craps out along the way.

It seems the design is created and left in a limbo state.  For example, the Design tree is open in the attribute editor, but the Workflow Manager tools are all disabled.

Here's what I see in the event viewer.

2015-04-26 09:54:54,315 [1] ERROR [(null)] - Schneider Electric Designer XML API Extension:

MMDesignerAPI.basXMLFunc.ConvertToDesign:

Automation error

Unspecified error

Error at line: 832 - Build: 10.21.1102

{LoggingAssemblyFileVersion=10.21.10.1102, log4net:HostName=Clarence}

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

Matthew St. John

Hi Ed,

Is there any difference in the content of the row for a design you opened once and set the Workspace_DB_Properties column normally vs the row for the design set with the subtask? There may be another column that needs to be set that I'm not aware of off the top of my head. Check too for the syntax of Workspace_DB_Properties to ensure they match. I talked to Kevin and the error you're getting is thrown while setting the design graphics layer, so there is perhaps another value to set.