6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2015 11:54 AM by timothyjohnson

copy user favorites?

Keith McKinnon

Is it possible to transfer User Favorites to another database with the same schema?  We are developing our GIS and have multiple environments.  It would be very time-saving to be able to transfer any useful User favorites and composite favorites when our environment is changed, or even when we are working on local instances.

• Re: copy user favorites?

Hi Keith,

User Favorites are stored in the MM_PERSIST_INFO table.  In the new database, try deleting this table.  Then copy this table over from the database that has all of the your desired user favorites.  Let me know if this works.

Regards,

Laurel

Keith McKinnon

Will that not delete the existing favorites in the new database?

Yes, that will.

Another option to convert all of the user's favorites into System Favorites.  In ArcMap, you would copy the User Favorites and paste it into System Favorites, it will paste as a separate Favorite Category.  Then in ArcCatalog, on the ArcFM Toolbar, use the ArcFM System Favorites Manager (heart shaped) to export and import the necessary favorites.  The user can then log back into ArcMap and copy their respective user System Favorites category into their User Favorites.

Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense.

Regards,

Laurel

Hello, Keith.  I would never recommend editing MM_Tables directly.  The only method of favorite migration that I would recommend is giving that specific user temporary write access to the necessary tables.  This will enable drag/drop of the favorite(s) from user to system favorites using the Favorites Manager (Heart).  Once this has been conducted, the permission may be revoked.

Hope this helps.

Aaron Sapsford

Hi Keith

Actually both approaches work.  I've done this before in a former role.  The biggest downside of editing the MM tables direct is the risk of "getting it wrong".

Hello Keith McKinnon.  After reading through this post, it appears one or more valid answers may have been provided to your question.  If any of the responses on this thread correctly answered your inquiry, please click the Correct Answer button on that reply.  If this question is still unanswered, let us know so we can continue to pursue the answer.  Feel free to provide any further details that may help those in the community respond appropriately.  Thanks!