8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2015 1:35 PM by eliprandi

Wavepoint Custom Basemap

Dick Gunton

Does the custom basemap need to be a tiled map?

• Re: Wavepoint Custom Basemap

Hi Dick, I think one of our developers eric liprandi would be able to provide assistance here

Dick,

Currently, we support 3(or 5) types of basemaps:

• OpenStreetMap - currently limited to the "default" OpenStreet service. We are looking at improving that option for Wavepoint 2.0, including specifying custom servers for customers who have purchases data and are hosting it locally.
            • BingMapsRoad/BingMapsAerial/BingMapsHybrid - those are the 3 standard Bing maps
            • ArcGIS Tiled Layers: basically, anything that can be fed to the the ArcGISTiledMapServiceLayer | API Reference | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

Do you have any particular basemap data you are looking at providing as a basemap?

Regards,

Eric.

Dick Gunton

Our basemap is a dynamic servic at the moment, and I couldn't get our basemaps to work in our development environment and wanted to make sure the reason I could not get them to work was because it wasn't a tiled service. We will explore tiling our basemaps either using agol credits for data storage or storing the data locally. At the moment the test environment is in a secured environment, which creates mixed content and security exceptions when initially opening wavepoint. I've learned through other older posts that some of these issues will go away with 2.0, but for the time being I'm trying to get the site up and working so our end users can learn the system, and see what benefits it will add to their workflow. Thanks.

Dick,

Hopefully, if you are having security warnings, you have looked at this: Running Wavepoint in a "secure" IE zone it could help you solve some of your problems. In particular, if you were to add the server where your basemap data is hosted to the list of trusted sites, some of those warnings should go away. Also, if you are using any HTTPS endpoints, we strongly recommend that you get real SSL certificates to ensure your data stays secure. This could also be the source of some of your security warnings.

Regards,

Eric.

Dick Gunton

As you can see in the picture, http is being using to fetch the maps from arcgis, and the same for grabbing the thumbnails. Esri offers secured versions of these same items. Is there a way, currently, to tell the site to go grab the secured versions like this https://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Street_Map/MapServer?f=json

mixed_content_wavepoint.png

Dick,

You are correct. We had identified the issue during our 1.0.3 release. One way you can work around that is building your own gallery by only using custom basemaps. You seem to be pretty handy with the network sniffing, so you can simply build a few custom basemaps in your gallery by gathering the URLs you need (both service URL and thumbnail URL).

This can actually be a good thing for your users as you can select only a handful of basemaps they really need (do you really need the Oceans' basemap?). To enable your custom basemaps, populate entries like this in your web.config:

<add key="basemap.1" value="{title:'My Topo', url:'http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Topo_Map/MapServer', type:'', key:'ef12632d7b904cc2b33481467ae41c1d', thumbnail:''}"/>

The value is a json structure (so, either edit it via the IIS console or make sure to escape all the characters properly). If you populate both the url and thumbnail properties with the https:// protocol, those errors will go away.

You can then turn off both AGOL and Bing maps by setting UseAGOLBasemaps and UseBingBasemaps to false. Note that this does not preclude you from actually adding AGOL and/or Bing maps to your gallery. Those flags simply control whether AGOL and/or Bing Maps will show in the default, OOTB gallery.

Ping me again if you need more assistance.

Regards,

Eric.

Dick Gunton

That is the exact method I attempted after I posted earlier, trying to be clever and all, but failed at it. The piece I was missing in my attempt was the key. I just plugged yours in, and changed the http to https and it works magnificently. Brilliant work sir.

FWIW,

The key property is used primarily to save which basemap you were last using. It's important in Wavepoint 1.0.x because we do end up rebuilding a map control at every page navigation. So, if you select let's say OpenStreeMap, we needed to make sure you would still see that same basemap if you navigated to another page.

The only requirement is that the key be unique for all basemaps currently enabled. So, you can use a guid, but a simple string can do (gru_1, gru_2, etc.).

I hope this helps,

Eric.