5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2015 5:32 PM by robert.krisher

Load *All* Designer Compatible Unit Info from a WMS

Ed Blair

Hello -

Loading Designer's compatible unit definitions from an associated work management is a pretty well established process.  Non trivial for sure, but a task taken on and tackled by multiple companies.

My question is this: what if you want all information for CUs, including data required for searching and filtering the compatible unit library in Designer to come from your WMS?  Specifically, I'm thinking about filters and tags used by the new-ish "CU Filter" tool.  It seems the definition of filters/tags are stored in (MM_CUTF_*) database tables and the association between these things and specific compatible units are stored in (Cu_MM_CUTF_*) many-to-many relationship database tables.

As far as I can see there is no "standard" Designer interface to support this, but it seems doable.  Has anyone attempted this?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

• Re: Load *All* Designer Compatible Unit Info from a WMS

Hi Ed, we've built a full CU integration from our SSP Workforce Management WMS to Designer that pulls in all data from the WMS into the CU tables. Because the CU's are fully owned by the WMS we essentially make the CU tables in Designer a slave to the WMS. We update the CU tables, the PX tables, and the CU XML blobs each night (you still need to do the XML blobs if you want the CU tab to work in addition to the CU filter). We have played with the idea of creating auto-fllters in the new CU filter tool based on other attributes we track in the WMS and if we did we would update the additional tables as you've noted above. All this to say that it is certainly possible to do this... let me know if you want to discuss further.

Ed Blair

Skye -

Thanks for the reply.  I get the bit about the three target data stores (Px, Designer and CU XML Blob) -- though it seems at some point we *might* not need to populate the XML Blob if the CU Filter tool ever completely replaces the Designer "CU Tab".   The CU Filter tables would, I guess, represent another target.  I would further guess that companies would like to handle all CU administration in one environment, and thus if there is some way to define the equivalent of filters/tags in the WMS (which I believe there probably is) having those transferred to Designer in the regular update would be a good thing.

Wondering if SE has an established direction on this.

Thanks again for the feedback.  Hopefully we can connect at Link.

Ed

You are spot on and I completely agree that most folks want to fully administer CU's in the WMS and have it replicated. That was definitely our intent - our CU management module is web based and includes all the Designer mapping components include object class, subtype, CUDA's and extended data. Then we push that data into Designer. The filters and tagging is the next logical step and we have even written an article on it you'll probably find interesting. We're not allowed to post links on exchange so I will send you a direct email with the link to the article "Designer CU Filter Tags & WMS Auto-Tagging". The article even discusses some of the types of WMS attributes we are going to use to drive the tags/filters in Designer. Our approach would indeed be an add on to the table updates we currently perform. Not sure if SE has a new approach but we discussed this with various SE designer experts at the time and it sounded like the right approach. Good luck...