13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2014 7:33 PM by Samuel Valdez

Cannot open Circuit Manager outside of a session

Samuel Valdez

I want to mention Fiber Manager and Melia Brush.

We can open Circuit Manager while we are in a session, but outside of a session, we get the following dialog when we click on the Circuit Manager tool (button):

UnhandledExceptionActivationError.jpg

Can anyone help us understand this behavior, and how to rectify it?  Thank you!

• Re: Cannot open Circuit Manager outside of a session
          James Wright

Are there any errors in the Miner Event logs?

If you open ArcMap and go directly to the Circuit Manager does it fail? Or is the failure only after you have opened and closed a session already?

Samuel Valdez

Thank you so much for your response.

Can you please direct me to the Miner Event logs?  I have never examined them.

I performed the following:

1. I opened ArcMap and then directly clicked on Circuit Manager (I did not open a stored display), and the dialog opened fine, in Read-only mode.
              2. I closed/re-opened ArcMap, and opened our "standard" stored display, and then clicked on Circuit Manager, and got the error dialog.
              3. I closed/re-opened ArcMap, and opened a different stored display, and then clicked on Circuit Manager, and the dialog opened fine, in Read-only mode.
              4. I opened our "standard" stored display, and then clicked on Circuit Manager, and got the error dialog.

This would suggest an issue with our "standard" stored display, which is also under discussion under Could not open workspace., and for which I did not get a full resolution.  I am okay rebuilding our "standard" stored display but I want to better-understand what might be wrong with it so that I do not re-introduce any problems.

Samuel Valdez

I have attached the relevant error, which is beyond me to interpret.

James Wright

Come on Samuel! A 3rd grader could interpret that:

2014-11-05 10:40:14,105 [1] ERROR Miner.Desktop.FiberManager.CircuitManager [(null)] - Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation.ActivationException: Activation error occured while trying to get instance of type ICircuitRepository, key "" ---> Microsoft.Practices.Unity.ResolutionFailedException: Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Miner.Framework.FiberManager.Contracts.ICircuitRepository", name = "". Exception message is: The current build operation (build key Build Key[Miner.Framework.FiberManager.CircuitRepository, null]) failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (Strategy type BuildPlanStrategy, index 4) ---> Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildFailedException: The current build operation (build key Build Key[Miner.Framework.FiberManager.CircuitRepository, null]) failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (Strategy type BuildPlanStrategy, index 4) ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
                       at Miner.Framework.FiberManager.RowConvertor.GetGlobalIdFieldName(ITable table)
                       at Miner.Framework.FiberManager.CircuitRepository..ctor(RowConvertor converter, ITable circuitTable, IMMModelNameManager mnManager)
                       at BuildUp_Miner.Framework.FiberManager.CircuitRepository(IBuilderContext )
                       at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodBuildPlan.BuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
                       at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildPlanStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
                       at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
                       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
                       at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
                       at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.Builder.BuildUp(IReadWriteLocator locator, ILifetimeContainer lifetime, IPolicyList policies, IStrategyChain strategies, Object buildKey, Object existing)
                       at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name)
                       at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name)
                       at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.Resolve(Type t, String name)
                       at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.ServiceLocatorAdapter.UnityServiceLocator.DoGetInstance(Type serviceType, String key)
                       at Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation.ServiceLocatorImplBase.GetInstance(Type serviceType, String key)
                       at Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation.ServiceLocatorImplBase.GetInstance(Type serviceType, String key)
                       at Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation.ServiceLocatorImplBase.GetInstance[TService]()
                       at Miner.Desktop.FiberManager.CircuitManagerFormV2..ctor(IActiveView activeView, IEditor edit, IMMModelNameManager modelNameMgr)
                       at Miner.Desktop.FiberManager.CircuitManager.OnClick()
                    {log4net:HostName=75-MXLQ181R00, LoggingAssemblyFileVersion=10.20.0.265}

All joking aside. I am guessing this is a bug.

Were you able to confirm the other question?

Can you access the Circuit Manager prior to opening a session ArcMap?

James Wright

Its not going to be easy to determine the issue. It could have been caused during an upgrade or some other edit.

Can you create a copy of the stored display? Does it still fail?

If it does still fail, remove a few layers at a time, retesting on the way. This should help isolate the faulty layers, if that is the issue.

Tim Szekely

Hello Samuel,

Thanks for posting the event log.  Looking at the error contained in there, I suspect this is related to a defect recently fixed in Fiber Manager:

MM52727 "Connection Manager doesn't open if layer from non-fiber database exists on top of map."

This may also pertain to the problem in the post you made earlier this year, with the "could not open workspace" error.  To test whether this is the defect you are currently seeing, can you modify the ordering of the layers in the TOC "Drawing Order" tab so that the first layers from the top are the layers from the Fiber Manager geodatabase, and retry opening Circuit Manager?

If that doesn't seem to make a difference, I'd be interested to know if you saw the same error when the Fiber Manager layers were the only layers on the map.  When trouble-shooting issues that may be related to the stored display, symbology, or related issues, I'll usually create a test display by adding the minimum data necessary to a blank map (e.g. just add the Fiber Manager dataset) with default symbology, save this as a new stored display, and retest for the problem to see if the application's behavior has changed. Can you give this a shot and let us know if that makes any difference to the problem you are seeing?

If the defect I had mentioned is the source of the issue you are seeing, this issue is fixed with Fiber Manager 10.2.1a.  Hopefully the work-around of including the Fiber Manager features at the top of the drawing order will work well enough for you until you can upgrade?

Regards,

Tim