2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2014 3:51 PM by Samuel Valdez

How might we model third-party fiber in our fiber network?

Samuel Valdez

In our fiber network, we have examples where we drop in to a third-party's fiber infrastructure, and then come out somewhere else, back in to our fiber infrastructure.  Usually, it is 2 or 4 or 6 strands, and may traverse miles.  My question is whether anyone has tried this, and if so, then what recommendations might they have based upon their experience.

One thought that I have is that I may try to create one or more favorites to support this activity.

• Re: How might we model third-party fiber in our fiber network?

We are working with Tri-State right now and if they are actually leasing dark fiber or using it via a sharing agreement then we would model the individual fiber strands. You can definitely do the smaller count favorites. The other case we run into there is when they have a leased circuit from a third party telecom where they don't know anything about the underlying infrastructure but just know they have a full STS, DS3, or DS1 or similar. In those cases we have modeled a new leased circuit feature and singled related connectable object. We show the Tri-State network connecting into that circuit at the equivalent of a patch location and then model the leased circuit as a straight line connection to where it comes back into the Tri-State network. This works well because we don't know where the physical infrastructure is but still need to model the connectivity between the two Tri-State patch locations. We can use different symbology to show its an unknown leased circuit route. And then rely on the custom bandwidth extension to manage logical circuit connectivity between the networks.