2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2014 10:07 AM by brownkj

Arcfm Viewer for Engine Upgrade from 10.0sp1 to 10.2.1a in a staggered release schedule possible?

Jim Kyle

I have a question for anybody that has performed an upgrade for their ArcFM Viewer for ArcGIS Engine software deployments from a 10.0 to 10.2.1a (or similar).  My environment consists of a large number of notebook computers in the field running ArcFM Viewer for ArcGIS Engine 10.0.3sp1. Upgrading all these computers to 10.2.1a in a single day isn't really possible and having users not have the latest replica of data on their machines each day is not an option either - so therefore I am thinking since we dont use Responder or Designer or OH on these machines that I could do a staggered release.  I have read the ReadMe's for ArcFM Viewer for ArcGIS Engine for each release since 10.0 and don't see anything that standsout as to why the following would not work.  My initial testing reveals that this could work as well.

It appears that ArcFM Viewer for ArcGIs Engine 10.0.3sp1 will work with a replica from a 10.2.1a ArcGIS/ArcFM Environment without any issues.  Therefore if we upgraded our SDE (oracle) from 10.0 to ArcFM 10.2.1a and started replicating out this backdrop the old ArcFM Viewer for ArcGIs Engine software would still work as designed originally with this backdrop.

It also appears that ArcFM Viewer for ArcGIS Engine 10.2.1a will work with 10.0.3sp1 backdrops,login databases, session manager databases - So we could start implementing the new client (on newly built notebooks) even before we upgrade the SDE.    I am sure none of this is recommended but testing reveals it will work.  If these client machines aren't doing any edits - just traces,searches and other tools -I don't see a problem with a staggered release.  (Even if edits are being performed, I don't see anything in the release notes that would make anything different in the xml packet).  Thoughts on this?

I welcome all and any comments on this.

• Re: Arcfm Viewer for Engine Upgrade from 10.0sp1 to 10.2.1a in a staggered release schedule possible?

It's an interesting idea... we've done quite a number of ArcFM Viewer upgrades to 10.2.1 and more recently 10.2.1a but have not gone after a hybrid approach as you propose. However, if it works it would definitely make the transition a lot easier. I (and I'm sure others) would be interested to hear the results if you give this a go. I think the think you have going for you is that there isn't a ton of new product development occurring on Viewer or Replication any more so that likely means the pattern has been relatively constant from 10.0 to 10.2.1. Best of luck and I look forward to your updates. 

• Re: Arcfm Viewer for Engine Upgrade from 10.0sp1 to 10.2.1a in a staggered release schedule possible?

Sounds plausible to me either way.  Personally I would probably go with the app migration first as long as your testing hasn't revealed any ArcFM issues.

I do have one note about using 10.1 (and newer) data with 10.0 (and older) ArcGIS software.  If you enable Editor Tracking on any featureclasses you will need to disable that in your extracts or the older ArcGIS software will not be able to read the data.  This can be done with a geoprocessing tool called Disable Editor Tracking:

in python:

arcpy.DisableEditorTracking_management(fcpath, "DISABLE_CREATOR", "DISABLE_CREATION_DATE", "DISABLE_LAST_EDITOR", "DISABLE_LAST_EDIT_DATE")