4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2014 10:23 AM by Ian Broad

Trying to edit feature class using arcpy - Field is not editable

Ian Broad

We are running ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 SP1 and ArcFM 10.1.276

I have a simple script that inserts a new row with a value into a feature class using the arcpy module.

def sampleArcFM():
          import arcpy
          from arcgisscripting import create
          from win32com.client import Dispatch
          gp = create(10.1)

app = Dispatch('Miner.Framework.Dispatch.MMAppInitializeDispatch')
          au = Dispatch('Miner.Framework.Dispatch.MMAutoupdaterDispatch')
          runtime = Dispatch('Miner.Framework.Dispatch.MMRuntimeEnvironmentDispatch')

from enumerations import mmRuntimeMode,mmLicensedProductCode,mmAutoUpdaterMode

runtime.RuntimeMode = mmRuntimeMode.mmRuntimeModeArcServer
          app.Initialize(mmLicensedProductCode.mmLPArcFM)
          au.AutoUpdaterMode = mmAutoUpdaterMode.mmAUMNoEvents

workspace = "Database Connections\\Test.sde"
          arcpy.env.workspace = workspace

switch = "Database Connections\\Test.sde\\ElectricDataset\\SwitchBank"

edit = arcpy.da.Editor(workspace)
          edit.startEditing(False, True)
          edit.startOperation()

icur = arcpy.da.InsertCursor(switch, ("Comments"))
          icur.insertRow(["Test Comment"])

edit.stopOperation()
          edit.stopEditing(True)

app.Shutdown
          del app, runtime, au

sampleArcFM()

When I run the above code on a feature class that (from what I've noticed) participates in the geometric network, I get the following error:

RuntimeError: Field is not editable.

However, when I run the code on a feature class that doesn't participate in the geometric network, the row is inserted correctly.

Also, when I export the data to a file geodatabase with the geometric network intact, I can run the code on a feature class that participates in the geometric network and it works correctly.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

• Re: Trying to edit feature class using arcpy - Field is not editable

Try not specifying any subfields.  I've had luck with this in the past by creating an inset cursor, calling newrow on the insert cursor, setting a value on the newrow, then inserting the newrow.

Ian Broad

Well, I discovered a little more.

I tried what I believe to be Robert Krisher's suggestion, which is to use the standard cursor and not the data access cursor.

So, I used this code instead:

edit.startOperation()

icur= arcpy.InsertCursor(switch)
            row = icur.newRow()
            row.setValue("Comments", "Test Comment")
            icur.insertRow(row)

edit.stopOperation()
            edit.stopEditing(True)

This did fail with the same message:

RuntimeError: Field is not editable.

BUT, it also threw a more detailed error than the data access cursor did, which was:

The feature object does not have a valid shape.

So, obviously this means it needs geometry in order to be inserted (if a geometry field exists). This must be a more strict requirement by ArcFM? Because my first script worked fine in the pure ESRI world. This obviously isn't an issue, I just wish the first script threw the same error as this one.

I changed back to the data access cursor and added the Shape field and it inserted correctly.

edit.startOperation()

icur = arcpy.da.InsertCursor(switch, ("SHAPE@", "Comments"))
            icur.insertRow([(5555, 5555), "Test Comment"])

edit.stopOperation()
            edit.stopEditing(True)

I'm suprised that you can do this with the vanilla ESRI features.  I'm pretty sure that at 10.2.1 I can't create a network feature with null geometry, but I would have thought they were enforcing this since 10.x (if not 9.x!).  Either way, you shouldn't be able to create a network feature with null geometry, ArcFM just has the courtesy to throw exceptions when you try and do this =)

Ian Broad

Yeah, it totally makes sense that a feature participating in a geometric network should require geometry. It just caused a bit of confusion when it worked in one situation, but not the other. Anyway, what the above told me is that there was a different issue with my conversion script because I was inserting geometry as well as the other field values. It ended up being the Enabled field. I was defaulting to a value of 1 for True, but it didn't like that for some reason. I just removed that field from the cursor and everything worked fine.