5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2014 8:33 AM by Nicholas Wanke

ArcFm/Responder/Present Position

Gabriel Ance

I need to know what is Present position field in ArcFm and which is the relation with the Actual Status in Switching Orders in OMS Responder.

Example: I have a switch with Normal Position Open and Present position Close.

I need to execute a switching order in this device so in Switching order editor I select Open Devices and the sistems says, this devices is alredy open. I don´t understand

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

• Re: ArcFm/Responder/Present Position
          Nicholas Wanke

Hi Gabriel

Responder does not look at the Present position in ArcFM at all.  Responder only looks at the Normal Position (Open in your case above), and then it has its own tables that handle current state (for instance, if there is a fault or a switching operation on a device).  Responder assumes that all operational switching will be taking care of in Responder and not through editing the Present position in the GIS.  This is why you are seeing the device show as already Open.

Gabriel Ance

Thanks a lot for your answer, but I have adder questions:

1 - The Present Position in ArcFm is only for information purpose?

2- The switching Order editor has the posibility to select Network State normal or actual. Which is the case it is used one or the other?

Nicholas Wanke

Hi Gabriel

1 - This present position in ArcFM isn't used as far as Responder is concerned.  However, core Feeder Manager (ArcFM) uses that position to determine the current state of the network and changes things like traceweights, Feeder ID, etc. based on this field being updated by an Edit.  I'm going to mention ArcFM here in case anyone wants to correct me or add to my explanation on how ArcFM uses this (I know Responder, but I'm not an ArcFM/Feeder Manager expert).

2 - The Normal vs. Actual state in the Switching Order Editor refers to whether or not it will consider devices in the Responder Active tables to determine network state.  So, if you use 'Normal' state, incidents and switching in Responder will NOT be considered in the Switch Order Editor when determining things like Simulation results (how many customers will be affected by each Switch Order step) and messaging (for instance, a message telling you that you can't close a device that is already closed).  If you use 'Actual', incidents and switching in Responder ARE considered by the Switch Order Editor.  Note that this is also how the 'System Switch State' toggle works (tool that can be added to the Responder toolbar in ArcMap) to affect the Responder Trace Tools in ArcMap.