7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2014 11:42 AM by Samuel Valdez

Set the default value to NULL for a field with a domain

Samuel Valdez

The feature class FiberOpticCable has a text field called CABLEMANUFACTURER, and the field has a domain "Fiber Optic Cable Manufacturer", which itself contains several (text) values.  I have two questions:

1. How can I set/change the default value for this field?  There is currently a default value for this field but I can not find where/how that was done.
      2. How can I make that default value be NULL or <null>, which is not in the domain?

I am mentioning Melia Brush and Andrew Sauer and Jon Ronat as they have all been very helpful in past.

• Re: Set the default value to NULL for a field with a domain

Hi Sam - From what you wrote, I think you are looking to set the default in in the wrong editor. Defaults for fields are ArcGIS properties no ArcFM properties.

To get to the defaults: in ArcCatalog, open the database then the dataset and select the FiberOpticCable. Right click and choose Properties... then choose the Fields tab. When you scroll down to the CABLEMANUFACTURER field, you should see the default set. You can change that value to any value in the domain or you can clear it out to get <Null> as the default.

Melia Brush

Okay Jon, you were faster, but I have pictures and a follow-up link.

Here's a shot of accessing the Properties as Jon mentioned:

domain 1.png

And here's the Fields tab: 

domain 2.png

1) On the Fields tab, select the field (CABLEMANUFACTURER).

2) In the Field Properties below, set the Default Value to the desired content. Erase any content from this property to make NULL the default. 

3) In that same Field Properties area, make sure Allow NULL values is set to yes (so that users will be able to keep or choose a value of NULL).

If you'd like to know more about domains, watch the Configuring Domains tutorial recorded by Amy Rupp.

Thanks for the kind remarks, Samuel.

Samuel Valdez

Hello, Jon, nice to hear from you.  When I say that a default value already exists, I mean that it shows up in the Attribute Editor when I begin the process for creating a fiber optic cable.  In this case, that value appears to be "ALCOA Fujikura":

AttributeEditor.jpg

However, this is not what I would expect based upon what I see in the Feature Class Properties dialog below.  In fact, this dialog suggests that the default value is *already* NULL, which is not the case.

FeatureClassProperties.jpg

This is the reason that I thought that the default value was not set in the dialog above.  With this additional information, can you recommend how I should proceed to get the desired outcome?  Thanks again for your help!