5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2014 7:41 AM by Iro Giannakou

ArcFM Object Reader installation

Iro Giannakou

Hi,

A client of ours would like to install ArcFM Object Reader 10.2.1 64bit, on their GIS Server machine, in order to have the capability of publishing ArcGIS Server map services using ArcFM Fiber Manager data.

The GIS Server machine has already installed the following software:

• ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.1
      • ArcFM Solution 10.2.1.588 (Fiber Manager, Conduit Manager)
      • ArcGIS for Server 10.2.1
      • ArcFM/ArcSDE Geodatabase in SQL Server 2008 R2

When we try to install Object_Reader_x64_102_265.msi, we get the following message: "Setup has detected a newer version of ArcFM Solution Desktop already installed. Please refer to the Installation Procedures section of the Read Me."

We get the same message, when trying to install ObjectReader_x64_1021_588.msp, but we understand that 10.2 version of ArcFM Object Reader is a prerequisite.

Do you have any recommendation regarding the above workflow? Which are the recommended procedure steps for the installation?

P.S. We think that the installation of ArcFM Object Reader, could be a solution to our initial problem of creating empty map services when trying to publish ArcFM layers in ArcGIS Server, due to the ArcFM custom feature layers.

We get the following errors:

• ERROR: Service started with errors, Machine: IT-GIS-01 [Instance of service 'test.MapServer' started with errors.  The base table definition string "sde.GIS.ConduitSystem" is invalid.]
      • The Layer:'ConduitSystem' in Map:'Layers' is invalid. The base table definition string "sde.GIS.ConduitSystem" is invalid. Unable to create object class extension COM component [sde.GIS.ConduitSystem].

We would appreciate any help!

Thank you!

• Re: ArcFM Object Reader installation

Hi Iro,

Unfortunately, one thing to note about our release of ArcFM 10.2.1 as a patch without full installers is that you need to install everything on the machine at 10.2 before upgrading each component to 10.2.1.  I am told that we did this because we wanted to prevent people from getting their machines into unsupported configurations (ie, having a mix of 10.2 and 10.2.1 stuff).

However, there is a workaround for your particular situation.  You should be able to install both the 10.2 .msi and the 10.2.1 .msp at the same time using msiexec.exe via the command prompt.

Using OHDA as an example, the syntax would be something similar to the following:

msiexec.exe /i D:\ArcFM_Overhead_Design_Analysis1020_10.20.0.309_Release.msi PATCH=D:\ArcFM_Overhead_Design_Analysis10.21.0.575.msp

One important thing to note is that you need to put the full path to the msi or msp in the command line.  See here for some additional documentation.

I hope that helps.