6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2014 10:46 AM by Hart Gilchrist

Add Reference Design install issue

Hart Gilchrist

ArcFM 10.0.3.7629 SP1

Previously had Add Reference Design tool installed and running - prior to a hard drive failure.  In rebuilding PC, I can't seem to get tool installed correctly.

In following install instructions...

• I compile the code in VS 2010 with no errors (but one warning)...

------ Build started: Project: AddReferenceVersion, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
      C:\GIS\Apps\AddReferenceDesign\AddReferenceVersion 10.0.x\AddReferenceVersion\ARVDifferenceManager.cs(19,19): warning CS0659: 'TMM.AddReferenceVersion.ARVRow' overrides Object.Equals(object o) but does not override Object.GetHashCode()

Compile complete -- 0 errors, 1 warnings
        AddReferenceVersion -> C:\GIS\Apps\AddReferenceDesign\AddReferenceVersion 10.0.x\AddReferenceVersion\bin\Debug\AddReferenceVersion.dll
      ========== Build: 1 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

• In ArcGIS in the Customize Commands window, I see no mention of the Add Reference tool, and no mention of the Telvent Add Reference Version category (I had previously found the tool under a Add Reference Version category - also not mentioned)

CustomizeDialog.png

• However, something is getting installed as I can see the ArcFM subtasks for this tool in the PX Admin tool...

PxTool.PNG.png

• I also tried to register the AddReferenceVersion.dll directly through RegX and it appears to have succeeded...

RegXdll.PNG.png

I'm at a loss as to what to try next.  I can't find any way to be able to add the tool via the Customize functionality.

My only theory right now is that my new, rebuilt PC has a 64-bit OS vs. the 32-bit I used to have and that the .dll registration is going awry due to that.  Is that plausible and\or fixable?

Am open to any\all suggestions.

Thanks,

Hart

• Re: Add Reference Design install issue
          Doug Beeman

Try running RegX /r /c AddReferenceVersion.dll

Doug Beeman

Hart Gilchrist wrote:

My only theory right now is that my new, rebuilt PC has a 64-bit OS vs. the 32-bit I used to have and that the .dll registration is going awry due to that.  Is that plausible and\or fixable?

That's not a bad theory, but it looks like you are building your .NET assembly for the "Any CPU" platform, which will be accessible to ArcMap.exe (which is a 32-bit application) as well as a 64-bit app such as ArcGIS Server. The only way I could see the bit-ness of your assembly making it unavailable to ArcMap is if you built it with the "x64" platform.

Hart Gilchrist

Thanks for the responses Doug.  I've been unable to get this to go even after trying the RegX /r /c AddReferenceVersion.dll suggestion above.  Am also not a big Visual Studio whiz so am just building the .sln files with a right-click --> Build.  Am not explicitly setting "any" or "x64" and could be defaulting to the "wrong" one.

I appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Hart

• Re: Re: Add Reference Design install issue
                    Doug Beeman

You can verify your Platform setting in your project properties, but your output above says Any CPU.

Build Page, Project Designer (C#)

Hart Gilchrist wrote:

In following install instructions...

• I compile the code in VS 2010 with no errors (but one warning)...

------ Build started: Project: AddReferenceVersion, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
                    C:\GIS\Apps\AddReferenceDesign\AddReferenceVersion 10.0.x\AddReferenceVersion\ARVDifferenceManager.cs(19,19): warning CS0659: 'TMM.AddReferenceVersion.ARVRow' overrides Object.Equals(object o) but does not override Object.GetHashCode()

Compile complete -- 0 errors, 1 warnings
                      AddReferenceVersion -> C:\GIS\Apps\AddReferenceDesign\AddReferenceVersion 10.0.x\AddReferenceVersion\bin\Debug\AddReferenceVersion.dll
                    ========== Build: 1 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

I'm still thinking that the .NET assembly loader can't find your assembly. Or can't load it. You could try dropping it in the GAC (provided it is strongly signed) or putting a copy next to ArcMap.exe (in the C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.2\bin directory). It seems like it works in the Px Admin Tool due to a copy being in the ArcFM Solution\Bin folder.