6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2014 3:38 PM by robert.krisher

Trace downstream from multiple selected features

Not sure if anyone else would find it beneficial, but I would like to be able to execute a downstream trace from multiple selected network features at once.

• Re: Trace downstream from multiple selected features

Hi Ken,

You can accomplish something similar using the Utility Network Analyst toolbar.  The traces found on this toolbar allow you to place multiple flags.  When you click the Solve command, it will run the trace from all flags.

This method does require you to place the flags, which is a little different than your question of running a trace from a selected feature. But, the end goal will be the same.

Here, I have placed two flags on my electric network (signified by the two green squares):

Then, I will click the Solve command on the Utility Network Analyst toolbar:

And here is the result:

If you'd rather return the trace results as a selection, get the ArcFM Electric Traces toolbar into the mix.  Simply click the toggle to return Results as Selection, and you will achieve the following:

This adds the benefit of seeing a quick count of selected features in the Table of Contents (see image above).

Andrew,

Thanks for the information.  I did not know you could trace multiple points using the utility network analyst toolbar.  I was hoping that I could join devices on our network to our outage table (where a device had opened up so many times due to a right of way cause code) and trace downstream / show results as a selection.  It would make it easier for others to visualize the lines affected rather than the device itself.  If my example, I am joining to a year's worth of outage info so there are several locations to trace.  Ideally, it would be nice if we could go a step further and pass the number of outages associated to the device to the OH primary downstream and symbolize it by severity.  I am reaching now... 

I'm tracking this thread Ken, and wanted to say that "reaching now..." is exactly what ideation is all about, and why we've included it as a key component of this exchange community.

Any chance we could have you add this request as a formal Idea (via Create > Idea here in the ArcFM space) so others in the community can vote and weigh-in on your suggestion?

This will also allow our ArcFM Product Owner, Matthew Crooks, to consider your request in the context of the overall ArcFM idea pool as he and the team constantly evaluate focal areas for future product development with core ArcFM. And FYI, you can view the existing pool of current ideas for ArcFM here.

Ken.  I understand what you are saying and what you are trying to accomplish.  Right now, I don't know of an automated way to complete that kind of map, but like Todd Moran stated, perhaps others in exchange can assist.  Posting an idea where a user has the ability to run a downstream trace from multiple selected points sounds very interesting.

Below is one idea to create a one-time outage severity map for the affected primaries, but I'll open with the caveat that it is a manual solution, which in the long run is usually not sustainable:

I can say that if you have selected devices (points) on the map, you could leverage the Select by Location in order to select the primaries connected to those devices.  In the Select by Location window, you would select the primaries that intersect with the selected devices. With those primaries selected, you could then export just the selected primaries to a separate layer.  This new layer would just be for visual purposes in order to make your severity map.  It would not be an actual feature that participates in your network.  Then, you could work with the symbology of the new layer to show severity.

The issue here, is that you would input severity per primary; the export process would not bring along the outage information from the device.  You mentioned a year's worth of data, so this process might take too long for your needs.  If it were me, and I really needed to produce such a map in a pinch, I would probably label the devices by the number of outages.  I would make that label rather large so it is easy to read.  Then, I would select all my affected primaries, and using the Attribute Editor, I would input the number of outages into a field in the primary layer.

Why label the devices?  Because that way I can just read the outage info right there on the map and type it into the primary.  I would use the Right-Click & Zoom to or Highlight to verify the primary I'm seeing on the screen is the primary I'm seeing in the Attribute Editor.  Then, I would read the outage label and type it into the primary.  Once the primaries have their number of outages, you can symbolize by that field.  As I said, this is a manual way to make a one-time outage severity map by primary.  If this is a re-occurring need, then some other workflow is probably better.

I know that ArcGIS has geoprocessing tools that will let you execute the traces from the utility network analyst toolbar (Data Management > Geometric Network > Trace Geometric Network, ArcGIS Help 10.1 ).  So if you have your network set up to support the ESRI downstream trace, you could pass in a point layer as your flags and go to town.  If you needed to accomplish something like this using ArcFM traces, there's an ideation request here on exchange to create a set of ArcFM geoprocessing tools.