The Trace by Distance Esri add-in includes the Trace by Distance and Distance to Source tools. This cool tool is a result of the Electric Trace by distance tool idea.
- Download the TraceByDistance.esriAddIn file attached to the bottom of this document.
- Double-click the file to launch the Esri Add-In Installation Utility.
- Click the Install Add-In button.
- After you install the add-in, open ArcMap.
- You can now add Distance from Source and TraceByDistance tools to a toolbar from the Add-In Controls category. Refer to Esri's documentation if you are unsure how to customize your toolbars.
Trace by Distance
- Click the Trace by Distance icon to make the tool active.
- Click a feature in ArcMap from which to begin a trace. The Trace By Distance dialog appears.
- Click the appropriate icon to determine how you want the trace to treat each feature.
Trace using the GIS feature distance. Trace calculating the catenary curve distance Trace using the GIS distance plus a percentage of distance you set. Do not trace features of this type.
- On the Options tab, type the Trace Distance and select the unit of measure from the drop down.
- Click the Begin Trace button to perform the trace. The Results tab will display the trace results:
Distance to Source
- Click the Distance to Source icon to make the tool active.
- Click a feature in ArcMap from which to begin a trace. The Distance to Source dialog opens.
- Use the Options tab to set how the trace will calculate the distance to source.
Trace using the GIS feature distance. Trace calculating the catenary curve distance Trace using the GIS distance plus a percentage of distance you set.
- Click the Begin Trace button. You will get a result similar to the following image: